Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Avrora's Soup

Feeding my daughter can be a challenge at times. She's decided that she doesn't like straight whatever food. This means that if you try to feed her only pasta she'll not eat it. The same is true for vegatbles or sometimes meat and even cheese. This kid loves cheese. Recently though, she just wants things that are more complicated and interesting tasting. Spiced. Maybe even spicy. Yes, spicy.

Y'see, I made my wife a spicy breakfast burrito. It had scrambled eggs, lettuce, tomatos, some not very spicy salsa, a little chopped cilantro, some fried ground beef, etc. Most importantly, it had some fined minced habanero. I warned my wife it was a little spicy. My daughter insisted that she have some anyways and my wife gave it to her, at least a little piece of meat with some lettuce and egg. Avrora's eyes welled up with tears and her little white face went straight to red. She didn't scream. She ran away and found her bottle of juice, slurped down some, and returned...and screamed for more. That's my girl!

She has a soup that I came up with taht she really likes even in her finicky state. It's actually pretty good any which way, so I thought I'd share it here with you all since I've been so lax in posting lately.

2 cups of chicken stock
2 chicken thighs, boneless
8 spears of asparagus
4 cloves of garlic
2 roma tomatos
1/4 poblano pepper
1/2 zucchini
cilantro, fresh, minced, to taste
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 small can of tomato paste
1 fresh, uncooked egg
salt to taste

Chop asparagus into 4ths. Chop fresh garlic. Mince the cilantro. Chop the poblano and dice tomatos.

put chicken stock and chicken in pot and bring to a rolling boil. Add salt, spices, aparagus, and tomato. After ten to fifteen minutes, reduce to simmer. Let simmer for a LONG time, preferably an hour or two. Periodically stir.

Add tomato paste to soup. Stir until clumps of tomato paste are gone. Let simmer for fifteen minutes.

Slice zucchini. Add to soup. Let cook for about fifteen minutes.

Remove from heat. Add egg. Stir in very quickly. Think not unlike egg drop soup. Return to heat and let simmer for five minutes.

Remove from heat and eat.


No comments: