Monday, April 15, 2013

Russian Air Force Seeks to Develop MiG-31 Replacement by 2020


The Russian Air Force hopes to develop and field a replacement for its venerable Mikoyan MiG-31 Foxhound interceptors by 2020, Russian media outlet Ria Novosti reports. If all goes according to plan, the MiG-31 would then be retired by 2028.

"We have started development of a new aircraft of this type and I think we can develop this plane before the state armament program ends in 2020," says Lt Gen Viktor Bondarev, commander of the Russian Air Force. "The new plane should replace the existing fleet by 2028," he adds.
I can see an airframe flying by then.  I'd be surprised if it was in service by 2028.  The time frame is more realistic than some of the ones thrown by the Russians , but I am still skeptical.  I wonder if they will go for a stealth aircraft or something else?  its an interceptor rather than a air superiority aircraft.  That's a rather different role.

No comments: